Lectures for those who want to deepen their understanding of music and cultural history. With many images and music examples.
Explorations in Music History is a developing series of lectures about music and movement, opera and multimedia, modernity and modernism, how “evil” music can be, and other scorching topics.
A provisional selection for 2017 includes the following:
- Music and literature
- Music and the visual arts
- Sounds from the city and from the countryside
- Song, speech and gesture: on the recitative in opera and instrumental music
- Folksong, art song and popsong
- “Absolute music” and “programme music”
- Virtuosity: the devil’s art?
- Modernity and modernism
- How “evil” can music be?
- Musical memories
- The shivers! … Life and works of the tremolo
Courses or individual lectures may be organized on request.